Tuesday 28 February 2017

East VS West Review: Clinique Take The Day Off Balm VS Banila Co Clean It Zero

Hello Princesses!
Today I'm going to be comparing the Clinique Take The Day Off Balm and the Banila Co Clean It Zero! I always hear people talking about how much they love both of these make up removers, but there is quite a big price difference and I swear if I hear one more person tell me that the Clinique is the best thing since sliced bread but in reality they only used make up wipes previously I might go crazy. In my opinion, any cleansing balm or oil is going to be better than a make up wipe anyway, so saying the Clinique balm is the best thing ever is really quite misleading.
Product Claims
The product claims are identical, the products are lightweight and remove make up without clogging pores, although the Clinique also claims to make the skin look younger for longer which is interesting.
 
Clinique
"Lightweight makeup remover quickly dissolves tenacious eye and face makeups, sunscreens. Transforms from a solid balm into a silky oil upon application. Cleans thoroughly, rinses off completely. Gently helps remove the stress of pollution so skin looks younger, longer. Non-greasy. Non-drying. Ophthalmologist Tested. For all skin types."(1)

Banila Co
Lightweight sorbet-like textured makeup removing cleansing balm that whisks away pore-clogging impurities."(2)


Packaging
The packaging of each product is quite different and there is a difference in size. The Clinique is bigger at 125g whereas the Banila Co is 100ml. I personally prefer the Clinique packaging because it's a little sleeker and easier to store. However, there is nothing wrong with the Banila Co packaging.
Ingredients
Clinique
Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Caprylic/capric Triglyceride, Sorbeth-30 Tetraoleate, Polyethylene, Peg-5 Glyceryl Triisostearate, Water, Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol



Banila Co
Mineral Oil, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, PEG-20 Glyceryl Triisostearate, PEG -10Isostearate, Polyethylene, Butylene Glycol, Water, Rubus Suavissimus (Raspberry) Leaf Extract, Bambusa Arundinacea Stem Extract, Aspalathus Linearis Leaf Extract, Viscum Album, (Mistletoe) Leaf Extract, Angelica Polymorpha Sinensis Root Extract, Carica Papaya, (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Malpighia Glabra (Acerola) Fruit Extract, Epilobium, Angustifolium Leaf Extract, BHT, Butylparaben, CI 16255, CI 15985, Fragrance 

The ingredient list comparison is very interesting, the Banila Co contains a ton of fruit and flower extracts, whereas the Clinique contains none. Both products contain Polyethylene which is a micro plastic and contributes to environmental damage, this ingredient is what lets the balm hold it's form without becoming a liquid. The Clinique uses Safflower oil whereas Banila Co uses Mineral Oil which can be irritating to skin. Interestingly the Clinique also contains ingredients like Tocopherol which is a type of Vitamin E.  The Banila Co contains Butyl Paraben which is a Paraben and some people choose to avoid it. The rest of the ingredients are mostly just different types of the same thing such as Emollients, Emulsifiers and Preservatives. I don't think either has a superior formula as they both contain a few acne triggers. 


Performance
I trialed each cleanser for a month each and then I have comparison photos where I used the cleansers on different sides of my face. During the months trialing them I found that both cleansers were terrible at removing lip stains as well as certain types/brands of mascara.
The Banila Co is much easier to use, the balm melts into an oil very quickly and it has a lot of slip. The Clinique is harder to use since the balm doesn't melt very much and feels very waxy on the skin, this means that I pull my skin much more when I am massaging the balm into my skin and lashes.
Both balms remove my base make up well, but leave some mascara residue in the base of my lashes. Check out the Youtube video to see them fail at removing stubborn make up like lip tints and waterproof mascara!
Price
Clinique 
125g
$65NZD
$0.52c p/g

Banila Co
100ml
$22NZD
$0.22c p/g 

Clinique
- Pretty, functional packaging
- Slightly hard to use, tugs my skin
- Not very good at removing stubborn make up like mascara and lip stains
- Doesn't break me out  


Banila Co
- Functional packaging
- Easy to use
- Not very good at removing stubborn make up like mascara and lip stains
- Gives me acne 


Final Thoughts
I much prefer the price of the Banila Co Clean It Zero, but I have to say that the Clinique works better for my skin as it doesn't give me acne. If the acne wasn't in the equation the Banila Co would win hands down as it's easier to use and much cheaper, however, for me personally I just need to use more of the Clinique so it doesn't tug my skin as much and it does work. I don't think I'll be repurchasing the Clinique balm as it's just too expensive for what it does, and I definitely won't be repurchasing the Banila Co as it gives me acne, so I'll definitely be on the hunt for a new cleansing balm!

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is no longer run or moderated. Please visit me at beccam.net if you want to chat!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...